Monday, February 23, 2009

Snow Storms=Cookies


I'm not sure why, but as soon as I hear about a pending snow storm, besides worrying about Portand Parking Bans, I immediately have an overwhelming need to bake cookies. I knew we would get a snow storm on Sunday, and sure enough, I found myself waking up in the middle of the night, thinking about.....cookies...what kind of cookies shall I make while the snow is swirling around outside tomorrow? Awhile ago I started working on an oreo of the homemade variety and got it pretty close...but not quite there. Somehow along the way, I let this little project slip into the background until the promise (or threat) of 6-10 inches of snow brought it back to mind. Thanks to Smitten Kitchen I realized why I wasn't quite happy with my version. Although yummy...not quite right. The actual cookie portion of an oreo is a little salty and not very sweet....and voila...that was where I missed the mark. I took my former recipe and removed a good deal of the sugar. I put them to the ultimate test, my king of sweets, my guru of oreos! His comments were few but he did say that they were very "oreolike" and the worst problem with them was not eating the whole bag in one sitting!
I am sure we will be seeing these on the intermezzo display here at the Pomegranate more often now. Yet another reason to visit during a snow storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment